- How big is a Playaway and how much content can it hold?
- Playaway is about half the size of a deck of cards and will hold the audio for an entire book, up to 60 hours of playtime.
- What does the audio sound like on a Playaway?
- Playaway audio is of equal or greater quality to digital downloads available.
- Newer Playaways (marked with HD Audio on the battery door) have high-definition audio. This audio quality is unsurpassed by any other format today. This is made possible by proprietary audio processing, production and leading edge codecs.
- Why can't I add, delete or transfer content on or from Playaway?
- In order to protect the copyrighted works of authors and publishers, you are unable to make copies of Playaway. But you can share them with friends just like you would lend your new bestseller.
- How does Playaway compare to audio on cassette or CD?
- Playaway is more convenient and easier to enjoy than juggling multiple CDs, cassettes or a separate player. Playaway allows the listener to control the speed of the narrator's voice and automatically bookmarks the last place they left off after powering down.
- How does Playaway compare to digital downloads and other forms of on-the-go downloading like cell phones?
- Playaway comes pre-loaded with great digital content, so it does not require information transfer fees, subscriptions, memberships, or even an Internet connection. Just plug-in your headphones and listen wherever you go.
- Can I use another set of headphones with Playaway?
- Absolutely. Playaway was designed with a universal headphone jack to work with almost any type of headphones, speakers or car adaptors.
- Can I use Playaway in a car?
- Yes. Playaway was specifically designed to use most commonly available cassette adaptors and FM transmitters. We also provide portable speakers for your Playaway that allow for on the go audio.
Back to top ↑
- How can I get the basic information on how to use Playaway?
- Check out the How-to-Play section for the step-by-step tutorial.
- How do I tell the difference between Playaway versions?
- The newest version of Playaway has HD Audio on the Playaway package and on the battery cover of the Playaway unit. The biggest difference between the older version of Playaway and the HD Audio version is the high-definition sound. The HD Audio version also allows you to lock the keypad while in play mode, slow down the speed, and easily reset the player to the beginning. The improved battery life in the HD Audio version allows for more playtime.
- How do I change the battery?
- Locate the battery door at the wide base of the unit. Look for the notch holding the door in place. Firmly using your thumb, push up and away on the notch to open the battery door. Add or change the battery and snap the battery door back into place.
- How long does one AAA battery last?
- Every Playaway comes with a standard Energizer AAA battery, which provides an average of 20 hours of playtime. For HD Audio Playaways, the average playtime is 30 hours. Rechargeable batteries are also compatible with Playaway; playtime will depend on the brand.
- How do I know how much battery life is left?
- A small battery icon is displayed on the LCD screen.. There are four levels of battery life, each represented with a bar.. The lowest level, one bar, indicates that 20% of battery life remains.
- How do I use a lanyard with Playaway?
- Locate the lanyard attachment area at the narrow top of the player. To attach the lanyard, simply thread and loop the lanyard into the indentation.
- Is there a quick way to reset Playaway to the beginning?
- Reset to the beginning: While PAUSED, press EQ+SP+FWD+REV.
- Reset HD Audio Playaways to the beginning: While PAUSED, Press SP+REV. The LCD screen will ask you if you want to reset. Press Play to confirm/reset. When Playaway is turned on again it will be at the beginning.
- Can I lock/unlock Playaway?
- To Lock and Unlock the keypad (for HD Audio Playaway): While in PLAY, Press SP+REV
- If I'm having issues using Playaway, what should I do?
- First, we recommend you checkout the Tips + Tricks section of FAQs
- If you are still experiencing difficulty, please contact Customer Service at (877) 893-0808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top ↑
Tips + Tricks
- Why won't Playaway turn on?
- We recommend inserting a fresh battery (please double-check to make sure it's inserted in the right direction). Most times, this is all you need to do to get your Playaway up and running again.
- Please keep in mind, most Playaway titles should take approximately 3 to 4 seconds to turn on. For a small percentage of titles that have long duration times or many chapters, start-up could take 10 to 12 seconds.
- Why is Playaway skipping chapters?
- This happens when the Shuffle play mode is activated. If your Playaway is pre-loaded with music content, the SP button enables/disables shuffle play functionality. Pressing the SP button once will enable Shuffle play mode and cause a randomization of the playback; pressing it again will disable the Shuffle play mode.
- Why is the narrator's voice so fast (or slow)?
- Adjust the speed of the narration by pressing the SP button.
- HD Audio Playaways have 5 options; older Playaways do not have the slow and slowest speeds.
SPD = Normal
SPD+ = Fast
SPD++ = Fastest
SPD- = Slow
SPD-- = Slowest
- Why did the display screen say REBLD or RESET before turning off?
- If this happened it simply means that your Playaway needed to reset. Please be patient upon the first power up after this occurs, as it could take 20 or 30 sections longer before start up is complete.
- What should I do if the display screen says ER00?
- If at any point you receive this message, please return the unit to your library and ask them to contact us. We'd love to replace the Playaway for them.
- What is your Playaway warranty?
- You can learn about our Playaway warranty here.
- If you checked out your unit from a library, please return your unit to the library and ask your librarian to contact us directly so we can help.
- What do I do if I need help?
- As always, our Customer Service team is available to help you with any additional questions and can be reached at (877) 893-0808 or email@example.com.
Back to top ↑
- Who is the company behind the product?
- Findaway World, a privately-held company based in Cleveland, Ohio, created Playaway® and Playaway View® to provide simple and immediate access to digital content. Learn more about Findaway World.
Back to top ↑